15 January 2012

Arrival

Hey Americans!

I arrived today in London after surviving a wicked 8 hour plane ride. It started out looking down on the city lights of Chicago and the moon shining down on a foggy lake, but it ended more like a trip through what I would describe as the devil's womb. It was dimly lit and rumbling with turbulence for countless hours and many of us were seconds from puking by the time we got off. I know I was sleepless, migraned, and pretty much miserable. To add to the excitement, sometime just after I had finally fallen asleep around 5 am (London time), a guy behind us had a nightmare and screamed in his sleep during a bout of turbulence. All I can say is that I've never been as glad as when I set two feet solidly in the airport.

In the airport we did the money exchange, a lot of waiting for all of us to get our things together, and went through customs. Turns out, despite my worries of packing too heavy, I was actually the lightest at 20 lbs compared to everyone else's 45-50. Woot!

Due to the delays in the airport, we missed our reserved bus into the city and had to wait for 45 minutes in the airport for the driver to come back. The drive in was pretty cool. It was all blue skies all day! There were so many little brick houses smushed together so that the rooftops looked like a shot from Sweeney Todd. It actually just really reminded me of a quaint, brick Milwaukee. I don't feel out of place (yet?). Just remember to look right first when crossing the street.

The first animal I saw here was a pigeon. Heh. Also, most of the plants look normal except there are some strange trees that are all knobby and twiggy on the ends like mini Whomping Willows. I'll find out what they're called.

During the day we got lunch in the cafeteria here and had a meeting with the housing director. Then some of us walked around the neighborhood and checked out the stuff nearby, but surprisingly, a lot of places here are closed on Sundays. We did go in a few convenience stores--all the candy bars are different except Kit Kat and Reese's! They have descriptions that sound like some sort of extravagance like would come out of Willy Wonka's factory.

In the evening we went to the bar and got some Strongbow cider (so smooth!) and played cards. Now we're all watching the Packer game. I am so ready to crash...haven't slept or changed clothes in a day and a half (blech). The internet is a hassle here so far (None in my room for some reason, but the lack of internet is made up for with the presence of mice traps. My room is in the basement.).

I'll post more interesting things (with pictures!) as I collect them, but right now I'm too tired to think! Classes tomorrow and I'll write anything new I find interesting. We're also getting cell phones and Oyster passes, so the adventures will begin shortly. This is all so surreal that nothing seems unusual.

-Red

2 comments:

  1. Hi Allie,
    Sounds like you are enjoying yourself already in spite of the travel hassles. Hope to see some pictures soon once you are all rested up and have time to post them!
    Tina

    ReplyDelete
  2. SGB,

    I'm glad you arrived safely! I'd hope Europe would have learned from the first bout of the Black Plague that rats are not house pets... lol

    Love,
    SUGB

    ReplyDelete